Get to Know You Monday--Stephanie Humphreys



We got to know a little bit about Stephanie Humphreys, author of Finding Rose, and her soon to be released novel, Double Deceit, last September. If you want to know what Stephanie's favorite food and color is, check out the interview here. This time we're lucky enough to get to know her a better on a literary level.


Your top five authors: Phyllis A. Whitney, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Dean Hughes, Victoria Holt, William Shakespeare

Favorite book when you were a child: I loved the Little House on the Prairie series. I read every book at least ten times when I was a kid.

Book you’ve faked reading: I don’t think I’ve ever faked reading a book unless you count textbooks in high school.

Book that changed your life: There are so many, but the one that always stands out is Lighten Up by Chieko Okazaki. I read it just after the birth of my first child and the message was exactly what I needed at the time. It has influenced how I approach just about everything in my life.

Favorite line from a book: I love the last few lines from The Angels of Morgan Hill by Donna VanLiere. “When I was a child I never had to stand on anyone’s shoulders to touch the angels around me. They were always within reach.”

Book you want to read again for the first time: The Angels of Morgan Hill by Donnal VanLiere. There is just something about this book that I love and I’ve read it several times. (I don’t usually read a book more than once. There just isn’t enough time.)

Book you bought for the cover: I’m not much of an impulse buyer when it comes to books. Usually I am looking for a specific book. On the other hand, when it comes to embroidery and quilting, at least half of the books I own were purchased for the cover.

What was your first story about: I wrote a story about the life of the Tooth Fairy that I used to tell my brothers and sisters.

What was the name of your main character: I’m sure she had a name, but I don’t remember it.

How do you come up with your plots: My plots come from plenty of brainstorming. I’ll have a character in mind, or just one specific scene. From there I start writing down ideas until the story starts to come together. I often plot when my husband and I are on dates. It takes half an hour to get from our house to the city, so that gives me lots of time to bounce ideas off him and see where the story goes.

When did you know you wanted to be an author: I don’t remember ever not wanting to be a writer. It was always just something I knew I had to do.

Most influential writing influence: The first one that comes to mind is my great grandmother. She did a little writing of her own and always encouraged me to keep writing. When I was a child, she was the only one who thought I should grow up and be a writer. The second one that comes to mind is Tristi Pinkston. She taught a class at the first LDStorymakers conference I went to that changed the way I saw writing and changed the way I saw myself. It helped give me the confidence to pursue the crazy lifestyle of an author.

No comments

Post a Comment