Walnut Springs Press March Madness Sweet 16 Questions--Jason Lloyd Morgan


 From the Eastern bracket comes the capable J. Lloyd Morgan.


If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why? 
Tarrant Hawkins from the book The Dark Glory War by Michael A. Stackpole. He’s noble, devoted, and becomes a hero without seeking to become one. He does what is right, even when it isn’t the popular thing to do.  

If you could co-write a book with any author who would you co-write it with?  
Honestly, I don’t know if I could co-write a book with someone else. It’s not that I wouldn’t be willing, but to me, writing is such a personal experience, I’m not sure how I’d divide the process.

How many hours do you spend on writing a day? 
Physically touching my keyboard, roughly one to two hours a day. In my mind? Every free moment I get.

What advice would you give an aspiring writer? 
Write something you are passionate about, not just what you think people will want to read. It will reflect in your work.

How have your personal experiences affected your writing? 
I include a great number of events from my life in my writing. It can be something as big as when I courted my wife, to as small as when I got a sliver stuck under a fingernail.

How long did it take you to publish your first book after you started trying? 
It took five years to write The Hidden Sun. It was about a year after I started shopping it that I signed with Walnut Springs.

Is there a movie (gasp) that you prefer over the book version? 
I personally think The Princess Bride is a much better movie than book. The film makers took the wonderful, magical parts of the book and created a masterpiece. 





Do you write in your PJ's? 
Quite often. In fact, I’m wearing them as I write this.

Do you use a laptop or a desktop for writing? 
I use a desktop with a wireless keyboard. I like the freedom it gives me without it being attached to the screen.

What is your favorite quotation? 
“This above all: to thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.”—Shakespeare 

What is your favorite cereal? 
Cap’n Crunch with Crunch Berries. In fact, instead of a birthday cake my wife makes me a Rice Crispy Treat type dessert except she uses Cap’n Crunch. 
  If you were a crayon what color would you be? 
Either Cherry Red or Midnight Blue.

Do you prefer summer or winter? 
Autumn. I know that wasn’t one of the options. But autumn isn’t too hot or too cold, and there are no spring allergies to fight.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish this year? 
Professionally, to have two of my completed books released and to complete my current work in progress. Personally, to be the best dad and husband I can be. (Yeah, that’s more than one thing, but I’m a multitasker. . .) 

The world would be a better place if . . .? 
Everyone followed the golden rule.

What is something you've always wanted to try? 
I wanted get married and have a family, and I did. I wanted to direct TV shows, and I did. I wanted to write a book, and I did. Next goal? I want to try to be a creative writer teacher. I’m currently working on my Masters in Creative Writing to work toward that goal. 


Jason and Kelly Nelson at Storymakers Mass book signing


Jason's lovely family

No comments

Post a Comment