Walnut Springs Press March Madness Sweet 16 Questions--Stephanie Humphreys

From the Northern bracket comes the accomplished Stephanie Humphreys.


If you could be a character from any book, who would you be and why?
Anne of Green Gables. She was smart, imaginative, feisty, and she lived in a great era.



We all know what comes next. :)


If you could co-write a book with any author who would you co-write it with?
I would love to co-write a book with Mary Higgins Clark. I love the way she tells a story I think it would be fascinating to spend the time working with her.





How many hours do you spend on writing a day?
It really depends on what else is going on in my life. Right now I am directing the play our high school is putting on, so my writing time has been limited. Anywhere from fifteen minutes when I'm busy with family or community things, to five hours when I'm on a roll.

What advice would you give an aspiring writer?
Get to know other people in the writing community. No one understands the excitement and frustrations involved in being a writer more than other writers. They are the ones with the best advice and the most enthusiastic encouragement. They are also the best resource I have. Writers tend to know the weirdest things!

How have your personal experiences affected your writing?
Without personal experiences, I couldn't have written anything. I think all my writing starts somewhere in my own life, whether I use an incident that has actually happened to me, or whether my experiences colour my character's viewpoints. The fun comes when I seek out experiences that enhance my writing and give my stories depth.

How long did it take you to publish your first book after you started trying?
From the time I sent out the first submission to the date it hit bookshelves, it was almost exactly three years.

Is there a movie (gasp) that you prefer over the book version?
I can't think of one. I don't watch a lot of movies.

Do you write in your PJ's?
Only when I am writing late at night. I'm always cold, so usually I write wrapped in a sweater or two and a blanket.

Do you use a laptop or a desktop for writing?
I use a laptop. My husband gave me one for my birthday one year when I commented that it was hard to get writing time on the family computer since I had to share with children doing homework. It has made writing so much more flexible since I can write curled up on the couch, or at my desk, or anywhere else I want.

What is your favorite quotation?
I have too many favourite quotes to pick just one. I keep a journal with quotes to read when I need a little encouragement. This one hangs on the wall in my office.


"The man who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd.  The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been before. Creativity in living is not without its attendant difficulties, for peculiarity breeds contempt.  And the unfortunate thing about being ahead of your time is that when people finally realize you were right, they'll say it was obvious all along. You have two choices in life:  you can dissolve into the mainstream, or you can be distinct.  To be distinct, you must be different.  To be different, you must strive to be what no one else but you can be . . ."   - Alan Ashley-Pitt   

What is your favorite cereal?
I don't enjoy many cereals. I guess my favourite would have to be granola.

If you were a crayon what color would you be?
Turquoise.

Do you prefer summer or winter?
I like winter. More time to read and drink hot chocolate. (I'm not a huge fan of gardening in the summer.) I just wish winter wouldn't last quite so long!

What is one thing you hope to accomplish this year?
My goal this year is to finish the cozy mysteries I am working on.

The world would be a better place if . . .?
The world would be so much better if everyone would be more patient with each other, and less judgemental of others.

What is something you've always wanted to try?
I've always wanted to be more of a world traveler. There are so many interesting places and things I would love to see.



No comments

Post a Comment