Week 1 Highlights for The Route

I look forward each morning to reading each new review and seeing what they said. The following are just the highlights from some great reviews so check them out. And don't forget to leave a comment to be entered into a drawing for a free copy.

The Book Nest

Carol was a sensitive narrator and I could empathize with her as she took these elderly folks their meals and slowly became a part of their lives. I think part of what made me want to keep reading this book is my own dearly-loved grandparents - I saw little pieces of them throughout. . . .I think anyone who has worked with or loved anyone who is in this stage of life will find something to appreciate in this book.

Mormon Hermit's Mom Book Habit

Get a box of tissues, ladies. This one plays your heartstrings like a master on a Stradivarius. The author takes us with her to deliver lunches to the elderly, the infirm, the isolated members of her community. The kaleidoscope of personalities dazzles and depresses, inspires and intimidates, comforts and chills us.. . . I heartily recommend you get this book for yourself or for someone who doesn't feel "needed". There are so many possibilities for service if we are open to them.

Boojoos and Apricots

[The Route] is actually a quite funny, very heartfelt and honest account of a woman stepping out of her comfort zone to help those who need it, who (as is often the case) end up helping her so much more. Told in the first person, we get voyeuristic insight into Carol's mind- the good thoughts, the bad, the sometimes soapboxish (this was the part that I wasn't so fond of), and the downright judgmental and ugly (how refreshing!). I got attached to the people on her route (also good, bad and downright unlovable) right along with Carol, feeling at times like I was her driver- waiting in the car for her to come back with that day's status report.

Of Good Report

I don't think that the elderly are represented in books and movies nearly as much as they should be. It's a shame the way they are often treated in this country, neglected and forgotten by their families, often seen as a burden. I used to visit an older woman regularly and I loved to listen to her talk about her childhood in rural Alabama on a cotton farm. I felt that I had a lot to learn from her experiences as the youngest of 10 in a poor rural Southern family. Reading The Route reminded me of the time I spent with her. . . . At first Carol sees her volunteer work as doing something good for the senior citizens on her route but along the way she realizes that they bless her life too as she gets to know and appreciate each one of them. Some of them are harder to appreciate than others, tending to be rather cranky, others are sweet, and still others are fun. Even the cranky ones touch Carol's life and she finds her feelings towards them changing.

Blog the Day Away


I finished reading this book and immediately went on Amazon to order two more as gifts. This is exactly that kind of book. I would compare it to a perfect dinner party. Carol is our host, sweet and funny- she reminds me of that favorite aunt everyone has. Her guests are each so quirky and lovable that it’s no wonder she wants all of us to get to know them. I fell in love with them just as much as Sears wanted me too, and then some. There are so many wisdom nuggets in this book that I’ll warn you, I had to tear myself away to go and find a pen. It’s a very quick read, that will warm your heart. Laura

The characters’ endearing personalities and fascinating experiences eclipsed their problems, and I found myself wanting to know more about each one of them (there are quite a few on her route). Not only are the old folks lovable and realistic, however. The narrator, Carol, makes the journey utterly enjoyable thanks to her own honesty, compassion and ability to laugh at herself. I loved how strong and real her voice was. Julianne

No comments

Post a Comment